Monday, January 25, 2010

Favourite Hymn


Which would you chose? Over the years there have been many favourites. Each special markers along the pathway of faith. One particularly is - O Jesus I have promised to serve thee to the end. The first line characterises the response to The Call.

As I moved to my last post I chose the terrific 21st century one - In Christ Alone - the words resonate with the ministry I was called to exercise in that place, as well as the move to this place.
In Christ Alone my hope is found
He is my light, my strength, my song;
This Cornerstone, this solid Ground,
Firm through the fiercest drought and storm.
What heights of love, what depths of peace,
When fears are stilled, when strivings cease!
My Comforter, my All in All,
Here in the love of Christ I stand.

It's taken time to see clearly the Hand of God in all that took place, and to be thankful for the experience. Yesterday we sang this song again in St Mary's on the Harbour. Minutes later I was greeted by a lovely manxwoman, visiting her sister here, who now lives close to our last Vicarage. New to that area, she has become very active in one of the prayer groups there. Jean brought greetings and encouragement from my many sisters there.

1 comment:

  1. Your reference to John Bode's hymn caught my eye today. This is the 194th anniversary of his birth. To learn more about him and his hymn, check my daily blog on hymn history, Wordwise Hymns.

    ReplyDelete